The TN nonimmigrant visa allows qualified Canadian and Mexican citizens to seek temporary entry into the U.S. to engage in business activities at a professional level.

Among the types of professionals who are eligible to seek admission as TN nonimmigrants are accountants, engineers, lawyers, pharmacists, scientists, and teachers. You may be eligible for TN nonimmigrant status, if:

You are a citizen of Canada or Mexico;

  • Your profession qualifies under the regulations;
  • The position in the United States requires a NAFTA professional;
  • You have a prearranged full-time or part-time job with a U.S. employer (self-employment is not allowed); and
  • You have the qualifications to practice in your profession

The TN visa is issued in 3-year increments. You may apply at a CBP-designated U.S. port of entry or at a designated pre-clearance/pre-flight inspection station. If you wish to remain in the U.S. beyond your initial period of stay without first departing from the U.S., you must seek an extension of stay. If you are in the U.S., your employer may file Form I-129 on your behalf. If you have accompanying dependents (spouse and children under the age of 21) they pay apply for a TD derivative status. The TD status is not employment-authorized, however, TD dependents may study while in the U.S.

Get in touch to start your journey.

  • This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.

TBLO has earned a reputation for being responsive to our clients and their legal immigration needs. We respond to inquiries and questions the same day or within 24 hours.