If you are a foreign national interested in pursuing education (academic studies and/or language training programs) in the United States, F-1 student visa would allow you to do that. F-1 international students must maintain a full course of study and demonstrate financial ability to support themselves during their stay in the United States. The opportunities for legal off-campus employment are limited when you are in F-1 student status. F-1 visas are adjudicated directly at the U.S. Embassy/ Consulate of the foreign national’s home country. However, a change of status from, for example, a B-1/B-2 visitor status is also available and may be filed with USCIS stateside.

Prospective F-1 international student must apply to the SEVP registered school of his choosing and secure a Form I-20, as well as gather a number of other supporting documents, in order to apply for an F-1 visa at the U.S. Embassy/Consulate abroad. Dependents of international students are issued F-2 visas that does not allow for any type of compensated employment. However, minor children may attend public schools.

Get in touch to start your journey.

  • This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.

TBLO has earned a reputation for being responsive to our clients and their legal immigration needs. We respond to inquiries and questions the same day or within 24 hours.